Vicky Joseph Professor of
Computer Science and Applied
Chair, Computer Science Area
Harvard College Professor
School of Engineering & Applied Sciences
I am a member of the Theory of
Computation research group. My research areas include
computational complexity, cryptography, randomness in computation, and data privacy.
Important Note on reduction in some professional activities and answers to common inquiries (including reference letters, email communication, advising, internal and external service, appointments, and refereeing).
- Fall 2017 office hours: Tuesdays 12-1, Thursdays 2:30-3:30.
- Research, papers, and
- 2017-18 Program on Combinatorics & Complexity at Center for Mathematical Sciences & Applications.
- The Privacy Tools Project
- Monograph on Pseudorandomness
- Courses & Lecture
Fall 2017 (co-teaching w/Boaz Barak): Introduction to
the Theoretical Computer Science (CS 121/CSCI E-121), previously taught Fall `04, Fall `05, Fall `08, Fall `12.
Spring 2018 (co-teaching w/Jelani Nelson): Data Structures & Algorithms.
Graph Theory & Combinatorics (AM107), taught Spring `17
Algorithms & Complexity (CS125), taught Fall `14.
Pseudorandomness (CS225), taught Spring `02,
Spring `04, Spring `07, Spring `09, Spring `11, Spring `15, Fall `16.
(CS 221), taught Fall `02, Spring `06, Spring `10, Spring `14.
Introduction to Cryptography (CS 127/CSCI E-127, previously numbered CS 120/CSCI E-177),
taught Fall `01, Spring `03, Fall `06, Fall `13.
Mathematical Approaches to Data Privacy, taught Spring `13 (as CS 229r).
Topics in the Theory
of Computation (CS 229r), Spring `05, Spring `13.
Applied Algebra (AM 106/206), Fall `09, Fall `10.
- Current Ph.D. students: Rohit Agrawal, Victor Balcer, Yi-Hsiu Chen, Jack Murtagh
Past Ph.D. students: Minh Nguyen
Viola (2006), Shien Jin Ong (2007), Kai-Min Chung (2011), Jon Ullman (2013), Colin Jia Zheng (2014), Thomas Steinke (2016), Mark Bun (2016)
- Past postdocs: Eli Ben-Sasson (2001-2003), Dan Gutfreund (2005-2007), Alon Rosen (2005-2007), Tal Moran (2008-2011), Andrew Wan (2012-13), Karthik Chandrasekaran (2012-14), Jon Ullman (2013-14), Or Sheffet (2014-15), Vishesh Karwa (2014-17).
- Recent Professional Activities:
- Editor, Computational
- Scientific Board, Electronic Colloquium on
- SIGACT Committee for the Advancement of
Theoretical Computer Science (2007-2016, chair 2012-2015)
- Director, Harvard Center for Research on Computation and Society. (2008-11, 2014-15)
committees: TCC `17, STOC `16, TPDP `15, TCC `14, STOC `11 (chair), CRYPTO
`07, TCC `07
`06, EUROCRYPT `05. TCC `04, RANDOM `02 (chair), FOCS `01, RANDOM `01, CCC
- CV: [pdf]
Research statement (from 2008, now outdated): [pdf]
Teaching statement (from 2008): [pdf]
Maxwell Dworkin 337
Phone: (617) 496-0439
Fax: (617) 496-6404
Maxwell Dworkin 343
Phone: (617) 496-1440
This page was last updated 8/25/17.