Vicky Joseph Professor of
Computer Science and Applied
Harvard College Professor
School of Engineering & Applied Sciences
I am a member of the Theory of
Computation research group. My research areas include
computational complexity, cryptography, randomness in computation, and data privacy.
Spring 2017 office hours: Mon 3-4, Thu 10:30-11:30, or by appointment.
- Research, papers, and
- Multdisciplinary research project on Privacy Tools for Sharing Research Data
- Monograph on Pseudorandomness
- Courses & Lecture
Fall 2016: Pseudorandomness (CS225), previously taught Spring `02,
Spring `04, Spring `07, Spring `09, Spring `11, Spring `15.
Spring 2017: Graph Theory & Combinatorics (AM107)
Algorithms & Complexity (CS125), taught Fall `14.
(CS 221), taught Fall `02, Spring `06, Spring `10, Spring `14.
Introduction to Cryptography (CS 127/CSCI E-127, previously numbered CS 120/CSCI E-177),
taught Fall `01, Spring `03, Fall `06, Fall `13.
Mathematical Approaches to Data Privacy, taught Spring `13 (as CS 229r).
Topics in the Theory
of Computation (CS 229r), Spring `05, Spring `13.
the Theory of Computation (CS 121/CSCI E-207), Fall `04, Fall `05, Fall `08, Fall `12
Applied Algebra (AM 106/206), Fall `09, Fall `10.
- Current Ph.D. students: Victor Balcer, Yi-Hsiu Chen, Jack Murtagh
Past Ph.D. students: Minh Nguyen
Viola (2006), Shien Jin Ong (2007), Kai-Min Chung (2011), Jon Ullman (2013), Colin Jia Zheng (2014), Thomas Steinke (2016), Mark Bun (2016)
- Current postdocs:Vishesh Karwa (CRCS Fellow)
Past postdocs: Eli Ben-Sasson (2001-2003), Dan Gutfreund (2005-2007), Alon Rosen (2005-2007), Tal Moran (2008-2011), Andrew Wan (2012-13), Karthik Chandrasekaran (2012-14), Jon Ullman (2013-14), Or Sheffet (2014-15)
- Recent Professional Activities:
- Lead PI, Privacy Tools for Sharing Research Data.
- Speaker, COST-IACR School on Randomness in Cryptography, November 14-18, 2016, Barcelona, Spain.
- Visiting Chair Professor, Shing-Tung Yau Center & Department of Applied Mathematics, National Chiao-Tung University, Taiwan.
- Co-organizer, "Secrecy and Privacy" part of thematic program "Nexus of Information and Computation Theories," Institut Henri Poincaré, Paris, France, March 21-April 1, 2016.
- Co-organizer, Workshop on "Spectral Graph Theory and Applications" at the Shing-Tung Yau Center, National Chiao-Tung University, Taiwan, December 9-10, 2015.
- Editor, SIAM Journal on Computing
- Editor, Computational
- Scientific Board, Electronic Colloquium on
- SIGACT Committee for the Advancement of
Theoretical Computer Science (2007-2016, chair 2012-2015)
- Director, Harvard Center for Research on Computation and Society. (2008-11, 2014-15)
committees: STOC `16, TPDP `15, TCC `14, STOC `11 (chair), CRYPTO
`07, TCC `07
`06, EUROCRYPT `05. TCC `04, RANDOM `02 (chair), FOCS `01, RANDOM `01, CCC
- CV: [pdf]
Research statement (from 2008, now outdated): [pdf]
Teaching statement (from 2008): [pdf]
Maxwell Dworkin 337
Phone: (617) 496-0439
Fax: (617) 496-6404
Maxwell Dworkin 343
Phone: (617) 496-1440
This page was last updated 8/30/16.