Vicky Joseph Professor of
Computer Science and Applied
Co-Chair, Computer Science Area
Harvard College Professor
School of Engineering & Applied Sciences
I am a member of the Theory of
Computation research group. My research areas include
computational complexity, cryptography, randomness in computation, and data privacy.
Important Note on reduction in some professional activities and answers to common inquiries (including reference letters, email communication, advising, internal and external service, appointments, and refereeing).
- Fall 2018 office hours: TBD. In the meantime, please contact my faculty coordinator, Allison Choat (email@example.com), for an appointment.
- Research, papers, and
- The Privacy Tools Project
- Monograph on Pseudorandomness
- Courses & Lecture
Fall 2018: Applied Algebra (AM 106). Previously taught Fall `09, Fall `10.
Spring 2019: TBD (most likely either Pseudorandomness or Mathematical Approaches to Data Privacy).
Data Structures & Algorithms (CS 124), co-taught Spring `18.
Graph Theory & Combinatorics (AM107), taught Spring `17.
the Theoretical Computer Science (CS 121/CSCI E-121), taught Fall `04, Fall `05, Fall `08, Fall `12, co-taught Fall `17.
Algorithms & Complexity (CS125), taught Fall `14.
Pseudorandomness (CS225), taught Spring `02,
Spring `04, Spring `07, Spring `09, Spring `11, Spring `15, Fall `16.
(CS 221), taught Fall `02, Spring `06, Spring `10, Spring `14.
Introduction to Cryptography (CS 127/CSCI E-127, previously numbered CS 120/CSCI E-177),
taught Fall `01, Spring `03, Fall `06, Fall `13.
Mathematical Approaches to Data Privacy, taught Spring `13 (as CS 229r).
Topics in the Theory
of Computation (CS 229r), Spring `05, Spring `13.
- Current Ph.D. students: Rohit Agrawal, Victor Balcer, Yi-Hsiu Chen, Jack Murtagh
Past Ph.D. students: Minh Nguyen
Viola (2006), Shien Jin Ong (2007), Kai-Min Chung (2011), Jon Ullman (2013), Colin Jia Zheng (2014), Thomas Steinke (2016), Mark Bun (2016)
- Past postdocs: Eli Ben-Sasson (2001-2003), Dan Gutfreund (2005-2007), Alon Rosen (2005-2007), Tal Moran (2008-2011), Andrew Wan (2012-13), Karthik Chandrasekaran (2012-14), Jon Ullman (2013-14), Or Sheffet (2014-15), Vishesh Karwa (2014-17).
- Recent Professional Activities:
- Editor, Computational
- Scientific Board, Electronic Colloquium on
- SIGACT Committee for the Advancement of
Theoretical Computer Science (2007-2016, chair 2012-2015)
- Director, Harvard Center for Research on Computation and Society. (2008-11, 2014-15)
committees: TCC `17, STOC `16, TPDP `15, TCC `14, STOC `11 (chair), CRYPTO
`07, TCC `07
`06, EUROCRYPT `05. TCC `04, RANDOM `02 (chair), FOCS `01, RANDOM `01, CCC
- CV: [pdf]
Research statement (from 2008, now outdated): [pdf]
Teaching statement (from 2008): [pdf]
Maxwell Dworkin 337
Phone: (617) 496-0439
Fax: (617) 496-6404
Maxwell Dworkin 111
Phone: (617) 496-6257
This page was last updated 2/21/18..